Monday 10 December 2018

2 weeks in the UK

So, we have been in the UK for 2 full weeks now.  I thought I'd post some of my initial impressions.




POSITIVES:
  • I feel incredibly settled and at home, having been here for such a short time, and considering the fact that we currently don't have a home... that comes as a huge surprise!
  • Feeling safe.  It is so amazing not to feel fearful at all - no burglar bars, or burglar alarms, and people walk their dogs all over the place in the dark all the time
  • So far, the Winter weather is not nearly as awful as I had imagined, as long as you dress properly for the weather you can go out and about quite comfortably.  (I'm guessing that might change as we head towards February - I've been warned it can get pretty grim!)
  • There is a lovely Wintery, Christmassy atmosphere, Christmas lights and music everywhere... I'm LOVING that!
  • I am really happy with the area of Buckinghamshire we have settled in - it's absolutely lovely!
  • Being vegetarian is REALLY easy in the UK.  The options are endless and delicious.
  • People are SO friendly, it astounds me daily - from the cashiers at supermarkets to the moms at Issy's school - people have been unfailingly polite and friendly
  • The postal service is awesome
  • There is no litter and it is incredibly clean, even the public loos 
  • The Christmas markets are amazing!
  • Mulled wine!!!  Mulled cider!!!  Heavenly...
  • We have managed to see several friends in the short time we've been here, which has helped us to feel settled.  I love that my Lissy is less than an hour away!
  • We live in the Chilterns, there are Red Kites in our area - as in the bird of prey, not the child's toy - they were on the brink of extinction and have been successfully re-introduced.  I love seeing them every day.  Makes my heart smile.
  • There are loads of woods, National Trust properties and lovely walks on our doorstep
  • Getting to know the local wildlife is such fun
  • Public transport is amazing here
  • London is less than an hour's train ride away
  • Online shopping.
NEGATIVES:
  • I miss my Paula and Impi something fierce!
  • My body-clock was terribly confused by the sun setting at 4pm, getting used to it now, but it is a bit weird!  I keep on wanting to eat supper at 5pm.
  • Things work so well here, but that can be a bit intimidating - I feel like at any moment I might do the wrong thing.  Makes me a bit nervous
  • Spending rands..... eish! It's expensive.  
  • At the moment I am fully embracing the cold, Wintery, darkness - it's cosy and I genuinely love it, but I can imagine that by the end of February it may get a bit old and I'll be yearning for sunshine.
  • It's a pain getting the kiddies all dressed up in their coats, hats, gloves and boots before we go anywhere - and they can't wear their coats in their car seats, so it's a battle we fight repeatedly.... coat on, coat off, coat on again....
  • This place doesn't sell the good meds... my headaches call for Myprodol, my colds call for Corenza C and Linctagon and that weird tooth sometimes needs Cataflam... problems!
  • There is no Woolies chai.... sob, sob, sob....
  • There is no Tommy's sushi.....sob, sob, sob....
  • lime scale.  It's a nuisance
  • Issy has jumped all the way into "big school" - she's now in a uniform, going to school from 9am to 3pm, learning the 3Rs.  Guys! She's only little!
  • I think I sometimes come across as rude.  The people are very, very polite, whereas I think we can sometimes be a bit "bull in a china shop".
  • The central heating does a number on my sinuses.  It can get very dry and stuffy.  You'd know our house, it's the one that regularly has the windows and doors flung open when it gets a bit much for me.
  • I haven't been able to find decent sushi in our immediate area.  (Can you tell the girl is missing her sushi-fix?!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I have been reading with great interest your blog. Did you eventually settle in Tring or High Wykham? I am toying with the idea of emigrating to UK too but there are a lot of obstacles which are making me think twice. The minimum income requirement and the NHS levy are just two of them. We are pensioners in our mid 70's with no pensions and only savings and a free hold home in Hermanus. Our daughter lives in St Albans and so keen for us to move over. My situation is I have a British Passport via my late Mum who was born in Scotland but my husband is SA so he will need a spousal visa or be my dependent (in a manner of speaking). We would need to sell our house to qualify financially but our miserable Rands when converted will amount to peanuts. We are both still fit, Barry very much a handyman and I just retired as an Estate Agent. We use to live in Durban, left for Knysna in 1979 (huge step but never regretted it one bit), and then moved to Hermanus in 1996 to be nearer to Cape Town when the grandchildren arrived. Unfortunately for us 5 years ago my daughter and son in law decided to emigrate to UK for the sake of their 2 kids' future and the job opportunities here becoming scarce as a result of the equity bill. Would love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete