Wednesday 22 August 2018

The uncertainty of it all.....

I've been pondering this whole business of uprooting my entire life and leaving all that is familiar to go and live on another continent - debating what the hardest part is?

Photo by Katie Moum on Unsplash

For me there is absolutely no doubt, the hardest part of it all is the uncertainty!  I'm a person that likes to plan everything down to the finest detail.  Call me a control-freak, a Type-A personality, an anal pain-in-the-arse.....I like spreadsheets, lists, plans.... 

I think to a point you can plan your emigration, but then there comes a point where you have no control and that's what freaks me out.

Our paperwork is sorted.  Broadly speaking we have a plan in place.  We know the area we want to settle, we know the time-frame, we've got the finances figured out.  But then there are those pesky factors that are completely out of our hands.  Selling the house - you can spruce it up, put it on the market..... and then you have to sit and wait.  Finding work - you can get your CV sorted, register with agencies, apply for jobs.... but then you have to sit and wait.  Finding accommodation - you can work out your budget, pin-point where you want to live.... but then you have to sit and wait.  It's doing my head in!  

We have accepted an offer on our house, but now we wait, hoping that the prospective owner's bond gets approved and that it all moves forward without a hitch.  

Grant has applied for a number of jobs, he's had 3 interviews with a particular company (2 skype, one in person in London) it all looks extremely positive, but now we wait - they've told him they'll give him a final answer "very soon".... frankly that's not soon enough for my liking!  

And as for the accommodation thing; I keep on looking at houses to rent on Zoopla and Rightmove - finding a house I like. in the area I like, seems relatively easy, but without knowing how much Grant's going to be earning, when he is going to start working and whether or not the landlords will accept our little dog, it's a pointless exercise in frustration. 

I am SO not cut out for this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment